Unique skin care formulations are few in number and certified organic choices with close to 100% organic content are rare. Newcomer Pure and Green Organics is an exceptional Australian creation that has ticked all the eco-credentials, led by an enterprising young businessperson wanting to achieve something special.
In June 2009, Pure and Green was the first company in the world to have every product in its range from face, body, dental and hair care to be certified organic. You can usually tell when an eco company is "for real" by the extra steps taken that set them apart. Pure and Green has shown deep consideration the whole way through to the packaging, using innovative ingredients and mixing their own formulations in a custom built kitchen.
We have learned that there are very different standards applied by organic certification bodies. Pure and Green chose to be certified by Australian Certified Organic (ACO), the gold standard for high-level cosmetics certification. It requires:
- at least 95% of ingredients by mass to be certified organic (other certifiers accept as little as 20%);
- no use of synthetic vitamins (eg. pro-vitamin B5) or synthetic surfactants (eg. coco glucoside, coco betaine), which other Australian certifiers will allow; and
- no toxic solvents to be used as ingredients or used in the extraction of any other ingredients. Other certifiers may not check, creating a loophole for toxins to silently enter products which still get labelled 'certified organic'.
Palm oil free
Palm oil is often hidden in derivatives like sodium lauryl sulphate, sodium palmate, stearic acid and glycerine without mentioning it on the label, or it is labelled as palmitate or simply "vegetable" oil. Pure and Green has gone to lengths to ensure there is no palm oil in any ingredient.
Certified vegan and cruelty-free
The products carry independent certification of this, again taking it that extra step.
World leading packaging
- The first cosmetic company in the world to use 100% post-consumer recycled cardboard caps for its bottles. Not just recycled, but they have even ensured it is post-consumer, which is the true standard for recycled paper.
- The first company in Australia to use BIOpack bottles made from plant sugar. This was not an "off the shelf" packaging option -- they achieved this with persistence, and they are custom manufactured for Pure and Green in a carbon-neutral factory.
Take a wholistic approach to your skin care by choosing safe mineral makeup. We have selected the three best mineral makeup brands for Biome - read more about Inika, Sante and Musq mineral makeup.
National Organics Week will take place from October 16 - 25. Stay tuned for organic-themed events and specials in the Biome stores.