Do you have anxieties about throwing things "away"? Do people putting food scraps into recycling make you edgy? Do you break out in a sweat when there's no recycling bin to dispose of your drink bottle?
During our recent visit to Melbourne for the retail trade fairs, I had a hurried and animated chat with Wasteman. What fun to gabble with a like-minded soul about rubbish -- rubbish of the wasteful kind that is. Wasteman devotes a blog to problems with waste and loves to take photos of rubbish bins and odd rubbishy things. He introduced me to the waste pyramid and thinking about recycling being the last resort.
- Buy in bulk
- Choose items with little or no packaging
- Pack a wrapper-free lunch using Goodbyn or Kids Konserve
- Grow our own vegetables
- Use shopping bags that last forever. Wasteman has more to say on this!
- Stop the Junk Mail, but what about the newspapers?
- And my daily buzz, BYO my KeepCup reusable coffee cup - and save 50cents in the process (1 coffee per day x 50 cents saved = $182 dollars a year!)