Straws are a damaging global environmental hazard increasing by the thousands daily, polluting the environment and waterways and injuring wildlife.
- Over 500 million plastic straws are used daily worldwide.
- Straws are made from natural resources including crude oil, natural gas and coal which cannot be replaced once depleted.
- 20 minutes is the average time a straw is used before being discarded.
- Straws are one of the top 10 items littering our marine environment.
- 90 per cent of rubbish floating in the world's oceans is plastic, primarily straws, bottles and caps.
- Studies estimate 1 million sea birds, 100,000 mammals and countless fish are killed every year from plastic.
- 6,263,319 straws and stirrers have been collects at beach clean-up events over the past 25 years.
- Reports indicate there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean by 2050.